Monday, February 22, 2010

Salon

So I had my first taste of Salon the other night. Salon 1997. No idea what I'm talking about? It's supposedly a super high-end premium champagne. Check out the link if you care.



http://www.decanter.com/archive/58186.html



We'll anyway, I care about champagne, like it a lot. The famous economist John Meynard Keynes supposedly said, 'My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne'. I suppose that makes me Keynesian? But in actuality it's most telling that I will remember him for that more than anything to do with that dismal science. Perhaps that gives you some insight into me as well. Yet I digress...



Back to Salon 1997. It was, shall we say OK. Just fine. But nothing really special. I suppose its not fair to judge a house based on a single bottle or a single vintage. So I wont. But I'm not really sure if anything will get me to ante up to play that game again.



According to my cellartracker notes, my favorites to date have been:



N.V. Domaine Pernet-Lebrun Champagne

N.V. Larmandier-Bernier Champagne Brut 1er Cru Blanc de Blancs

1998 Gosset Champagne Celebris Brut

1998 Perrier-Jouët Champagne Cuvée Fleur de Champagne

1996 Fleury Champagne Brut

1997 Laurent-Perrier Champagne Brut Millésimé

1993 Ruinart Champagne Dom Ruinart Blanc de Blancs Grand Cru

1998 Gaston Chiquet Champagne Brut

N.V. Tarlant Champagne Cuvée Louis Brut Prestige



I was looking for where to get one of these, and damnit these wines are hard to find. K&L wines may or maynot have the last one, the Tarlant Cuvee Louis. Currently they have Tarlant Brut Zero in magnum, which I would be interested in trying myself. http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1046887



No comments:

Post a Comment